Popcorn Time is a free multiple platform BitTorrent (file sharing communication protocol used to distribute the data over the Internet) client with a connected media player. This app provides us with a free substitute to the video streaming services that are based on subscription (for example Netfix). It uses the technique of sequential downloading to stream videos that are listed by many torrent websites. Popcorn Time is available for Windows, Android, iOS, Mac and Linux.
The Popcorn Time has a user-friendly interface and presents the film titles and thumbnails in a way similar to Netfix. You can search or browse the media by their categories or genres. When you click on the title and search for a film, the film starts downloading via BitTorrent protocol. And as the Popcorn Time starts downloading a film, it also starts sharing the downloaded content with other users. It makes the content available to the users until the content is deleted, which is usually done automatically once it is closed.
Popcorn Time comes with two main forks: Popcorn Time and Time4Popcorn. The main features include— comfortable interface to watch movies and TV series online; play movies without downloading, all you need is a good internet connection; select subtitles and picture quality; provides the content in 44 languages. You can download the app from its official website or many other sites that provide the link.
The latest version of Popcorn Time 184.108.40.206 has undergone pretty few changes which are as follows:
- Changing the primary colour from blue to indigo
- Updating the VLC media player code to LibVLC 1.5.0
- A 480p option to default qualities has been added
- An option to see the progress in notification bar when in background
- An option to see full torrent stats for movies
- Fixed the movie description view site
- Fixed the crash when opening magnet or torrent
- Fixed the relaunch of external player
- Fixed the problem of language selector
- Fixed the background initialisation of torrent
- Fixed updating the progress on resuming
- Fixed the problem of screen not going off when the playback ends
- Fixed the option of video reload